On Friday, November 2nd, in the Denver Coliseum, RMN Events brings you Colorado’s best youth wrestlers matched up one-on-one against their top competition from across the country. Using the same elevated mat as the college all-star matches which follow, this event will highlight those who one day expect to be the collegiate representatives in this setting. Tickets available for $20 at www.rmevents/com/allstarclassic will allow you to watch the top youth beginning at 4:30 pm, followed by the elite NCAA men and women’s competition which will open at 6:30 pm.
As an organization dedicated to youth wrestlers from ages 6-18, RMN Events’ CEO Ed Gutierrez strongly believes in creating highlight moments for our young people in their march toward greatness. Therefore, after securing the rights to host the NWCA All-Star Classic, he immediately went to work creating this special moment for youth wrestling in order to celebrate Colorado and the nation’s best and brightest. The match-ups were determined by those which would elevate the level of competition, rather than decided by weight class alone.
A spotlight high school match sets up two-time state champs Dominick Serrano (Windsor HS – CO) against Jesse Ybarra (Sunnyside HS – AZ). In 2018, each also earned a Fargo Cadet freestyle crown at 126 (Serrano) and 120. Serrano is top-rated in the nation, while Tucson’s Sunnyside has produced the likes of Olympic Champion Henry Cujedo.
Another feature match pits two nationally ranked 152-pounders. Montana’s Mike Weber is a three-time state champion for Forsyth High with an overall 146-7 record, a 3-time NHSCA finalist and 2017 champion, as well as a Fargo Greco champion and Freestyle runner-up. Weber battles New Jersey state champion Ricky Cabanillas out of DePaul Catholic HS, a New Jersey State and Beast of the East champion, as well as a 2-time Freak Show titlist.
Colorado’s UWW Triple Crown Winner Mosha Schwartz (Ponderosa HS) takes on Nebraska State Champion Maxx Mayfield (Lincoln East). Schwartz is a PanAm double gold winner in Greco and Freestyle as well as runner-up in the National Prep School Championships (Wyoming Seminary.) Mayfield is a Pre-Season Nationals runner-up and has placed fourth in freestyle at Fargo.
Colorado does not have an all-state championship; however, the Monster Prelims will match two returning 113-pound state champions, juniors Dawson Collins (5A Grand Junction) against Isaiah Gamez (3A La Junta). As freshmen, Collins placed second while Gamez was third in State.
In one of the two 10-and-under youth matches, hot youngster Ignacio Villasenor out of Pomona Elite Wrestling (CO) takes on superstud Israel Borge of Missouri’s Rare Breed Academy. Villasenor has earned the RMN Events’ World Belt for winning six tournaments in a season and is also a World of Wrestling Kick-off, Tulsa, and Reno World champion. With 600 lifetime victories, Borge is a four-time WOW Tulsa and Reno Worlds champion and the first to earn RMN’s Tri-State Belt while double-bracketed in two weight divisions.
The second youth match pits two familiar opponents each named Urijah: Team Duran’s “Yaya” Duran of Pueblo, CO, versus Garza of the New Mexico Elite Wrestling Academy. These two three-time youth state champs and winners of multiple RMN Events are 1-1 in matches against one another.
In other matches:
- All-American and Colorado State Placer in all three styles Nicky Gallegos (Jefferson HS) faces off against three-time State Champion and University of Minnesota commit Martin Wilkie from Montana’s Havre HS.
- Colorado State Champion and Runner-Up Justin Pacheco (Pomona HS) takes on New Jersey State Placer and RMN Freak Show Champion Nicky Cabanillas (DePaul Catholic NJ).
- Two-time Colorado State and Folkstyle National Champion Will VomBaur (Windsor HS) will challenge Montana State Runner-Up and Viper Quad Champion (all 3 styles) Matt DeWitt (Billings, MT HS).
- Fargo Greco and Freestyle All-American and Colorado State Placer Cody Thompson (Loveland HS) takes on National Triple Crown and multiple RMN Events Champion Avery Allen out of Montana’s Sacajawea Middle School.
- All-American and Colorado Freestyle/Greco Champion Angelo Lozado (Jefferson HS) will be pushed by Nebraska State Champion and All-American Paul Garcia (Scottsbluff HS).
- Colorado State Runner-Up and Fargo Freestyle/Greco All-American Wyatt Yapoujian (Pomona HS) squares off against Nebraska State Champ and UWW All-American Jackson Nielsen (Blair HS).
2018 NWCA ALL-STAR CLASSIC MATCHES GR 9-12
110 – CODY THOMPSON (CO) – 10th Grade – Loveland High School
- 2018 CHSAA 4A State 5th Place – 106
- 2018 Colorado Regional Champion 4A – 106
- 2X Colorado Cadet Dual Team member and Fargo Qualifier
- 2017 Fargo All-American in Greco and Freestyle – 88 lbs.
- 0 GPA
- AVERY ALLEN (MT) – 8th Grade – Sacajawea Middle School (Bozeman)
- 2016 USAW National Champion – Triple Crown
- 2018 USAW Freestyle Champion / Runner-Up Folkstyle, Greco
- 2017 Rocky Mt. Nationals Champion (multiple RMN titles)
- 3X Montana Youth State Champion
- 3X Montana Open Champion
113 – ANGELO LOZADO (CO) – 9th Grade – Jefferson High School
- RMN “Monster Match” Champion
- 2X RMN “Who’s Bad” Champion
- Rocky Mountain Nationals Champion
- Tulsa, Reno Worlds Placer
- Colorado Middle School State Champion
- Cadet Greco World Team Trials 5th Place
- Colorado Greco / Freestyle State Champion
- Colorado Greco & Freestyle State Dual Team Qualifier
- Fargo Cadet Nationals Freestyle 5th Place
- PAUL GARCIA (NE) – 10th Grade – Scottsbluff High School
- 2018 Nebraska State Champion
- Nebraska Triple Crown Champion
- All-American – Tulsa, VAC
- 2017 Rocky Mt. Nationals Champion
- Champion – Fall Brawl, Western Regionals
- Journeyman Fall Classic 4th
- President’s Award for Educational Excellence, Jr. National Honor Society, 3.8 GPA
- Air Force ROTC, SHS Key Club, Youth Wrestling Club Volunteer
122 – WYATT YAPOUJIAN (CO) – 11th Grade – Pomona High School
- 2018 Colorado State Runner-Up
- 2017 Colorado State 3rd Place
- All-American Fargo Cadet Nationals – Freestyle & Greco
- Cadet World Team Trials Placer
- 2X Placer: Reno Tournament of Champions, Doc Buchanan
- JACKSON NIELSEN (NE) – 12th Grade – Blair High School
- 2018 Nebraska State Champ
- 2017 Nebraska State 4th Place
- UWW Cadet All-American
124 – DAWSON COLLINS (CO) – 11th Grade – Grand Junction High School
- 2018 Colorado 5A State Champion – 113 lbs. (member of State Championship HS team)
- 2017 Colorado 5A State Runner-Up
- 2018, 2017 Warrior Classic Champion
- RMN Events: 6X Champion, 3X OW, 3X Triple Crown, 2X Golden Gear, Championship Belt
- World of Wrestling – Reno Worlds Champion, 2X Tulsa Runner-Up
- ISAIAH GAMEZ (CO) – 11th Grade – La Junta High School
- 2018 Colorado 3A State Champion – 113 lbs.
- 2017 Colorado 3A State 3rd Place
- 2X Colorado Regional Champion
- Career Record 74-13 (only one 3A loss)
126 – DOMINICK SERRANO (CO) – 11th Grade – Windsor High School
- 2X Colorado State Champion
- 2018 Fargo Cadet National Freestyle Champion 126 lb.
- JESSE YBARRA (AZ) – 11th Grade – Sunnyside High School
- 2X Arizona State Champion
- 2018 Fargo Cadet National Freestyle Champion 120 lb.
126 – WILL VOMBAUR (CO) – 11th Grade – Windsor High School
- 2X Colorado State Champion
- USAW Folkstyle National Champion
- Southern Plains Freestyle Regional Champion
- MATT DEWITT (MT) – 11th Grade – Billings High School
- 2018 Viper Quad Champion (all 3 styles)
- 2017,2016 Montana Open Champion
- Multiple RMN Events Champion (including 2018 Cosmic Clash)
- 2017 Montana State 4th Place
- 2016 Montana State Runner-Up
- 2016 Reno Worlds Champion
132 – JUSTIN PACHECO (CO) – 12th Grade – Pomona High School
- 2018 Colorado State Runner-Up
- 2017 Colorado State Champ
- NICKY CABANILLAS (NJ) – 12th Grade – DePaul Catholic High School
- 2018 New Jersey State 5th Place
- 2018 New Jersey Regional Champ
- 2018 Northeast Regional Freestyle 4th Place
- 2017 Beast of the East / Powerade Round of 12
- 2016 RMN-NUWAY Freak Show Champion
- 2016 Doc B 7th Place
- 2X New Jersey Cadet / Junior Team Member
- 2X County / District Champ
138 – MOSHA SCHWARTZ (CO) – 12th Grade – Ponderosa High School
- 2015 Cadet USAW/Fargo Triple Crown Winner Folkstyle, Freestyle, Greco 88 lbs.
- 2015 Pan American Gold Medalist Freestyle and Greco 42 kg.
- 2016 Reno Tournament of Champions 1st place 106 lbs.
- 2017 Colorado State Place Winner 5A 4th place 106 lbs.
- 2017 Cadet Greco Roman World Team Member 50 kg.
- 2017 Junior Folkstyle Nationals Champion 100 lbs.
- 2017 Prep State Champion 113 lbs. (Wyoming Seminary)
- 2017 National Prep School Championships Runner-Up 113 lbs.
- 2017 World Junior Team Trials Greco Roman 7th Place 55 kg.
- 2018 NHSCA VA Beach 3rd Place 138 lbs.
- 2018 Flo Nationals Champion 138 lbs.
- 2018 Greco World Team Trials 3rd Place 63 kg.
- MAXX MAYFIELD (NE) – 11th Grade – Lincoln East High School
- 2018 Nebraska State Champion
- 2017 Nebraska State Runner-Up
- 2017 USAW Pre-Season Nationals Runner-Up
- 2017 Fall Brawl Champion
- 2017 Fargo Cadet Freestyle Nationals 4th Place
148 – NICKY GALLEGOS (CO) – 11th Grade – Jefferson High School
- Colorado High School State 3rd Place
- 2018 Fargo Cadet Nationals Freestyle 6th Place
- 2018 Reno Worlds Runner-Up
- 2017 Colorado State Team Qualifier – Freestyle, Greco
- 2X High School Regional Champion
- RMN Monster Match Nationals Champion
- RMN Who’s Bad Nationals Champion
- MARTIN WILKIE (MT) – 12th Grade – Havre High School
- University of Minnesota – Commit
- 3x Montana State Champion (143-5 overall record)
- 2018 Reno Worlds Champion
- 2018 All-American NHSCA High School Nationals
154 – MIKE WEBER (MT) – 12th Grade – Forsyth High School
- 3X Montana State Champ (145-7 overall record)
- 2017 NHSCA VA Beach Champion
- 3X Finalist NHSCA High School Nationals
- 2017 USAW Folkstyle & Greco Champion / Freestyle Runner-Up
- 2017 Fargo Cadet Greco Champion / Freestyle Runner-Up
- 2017 Reno Worlds Champion
- 2018 Fargo Junior Cadet 5th Place
- RICKY CABANILLAS (NJ) – 12th Grade – DePaul Catholic High School
- 2018 New Jersey State Champion
- 2017 New Jersey State Runner-Up
- 2017 Beast of the East Champion
- 2017 Powerade 3rd Place
- 6X Team Member – Team New Jersey
- 2X RMN-NUWAY Freak Show Champion
152 – AADEN VALDEZ (CO) – 11th Grade – Pueblo East High School
- 2016 UWW/USAW Schoolboy Pan-American Greco Runner-up, Medellin Colombia
- 2016 National Wrestling Hall of Fame, Colorado Chapter – Outstanding Youth Wrestler
- 2017 Colorado High School Activities Association 4A State 5th Place
- 2018 Colorado High School Activities Association 4A State Runner-up
- 2018 National Wrestling Hall of Fame, Colorado Chapter – Award of Merit
- 2018 NHSCA Virginia Beach Duals – All-Tournament, Undefeated
- 2018 Marines Western Regional Greco Runner-up
- 2018 USAW Cadet Duals FS & GR All-Tournament (undefeated)
- 2018 USMC/USAW Cadet Greco National All-American 4th Place, Fargo ND
2018 MONSTER PRELIM MATCHES GR K-8
58 (10U) – URIJAH ‘YAYA’ DURAN (CO) – Team Duran
- Colorado State Youth Champion
- 3X Outstanding Wrestler Award
- 3X RMN Monster Match National Champion
- 3X Greater Southwest Champion
- 2X RMN New Mexico National Showdown Champion
- Champion – RMN Wild West, Panhandle Nationals
- Champion – Bighorn Nationals, Black Hills Nationals
- URIJAH GARZA (NM) – NM Elite Wrestling Academy
- 3X New Mexico State Youth Champ
- WOW Kick-off Classic Runner-Up
- WOW Tulsa Nationals Placer
- Rocky Mountain Nationals Runner-Up
- 3X RMN New Mexico National Showdown Runner-Up
- RMN Terminator Nationals Champ
- Greater Southwest National Champ
- Also 1-1 Against Urijah Duran!
61 (10U) – IGNACIO VILLASENOR (CO) – Pomona Elite Wrestling
- 3X Colorado State Youth Champion
- RMN Triple Crown, Tri-State, Golden Gear, & World Belt Recipient
- World of Wrestling – Kick-Off, Tulsa, & Reno World Champion
- 2X World All-Star Team Member
- ISRAEL BORGE (MO) – Rare Breed Academy
- 2016 World of Wrestling “All Division Overall” Wrestler Of The Year Award
- 4X Tulsa Kickoff Champ & Outstanding Wrestler Award
- 4X Tulsa Champ Outstanding Wrestler Award
- 4X Reno Worlds Champ, 2X Outstanding Wrestler Award
- 3x Missouri USA State Youth Champ
- RMN Triple Crown Winner
- 3X RMN Tri-State Belt Winner (first ever to do it double-bracketed)
- Combined Record Of Over 600 Wins With Only 7 Losses