Four good matches.
That’s what it will take to win a state championship this weekend at Pepsi Center.
In Class 2A, John Mall’s Wesley VanMatre has a chance to make history by winning a fourth state title, something never before accomplished in the history of the small Walsenburg school. VanMatre, along with three wrestlers from Class 4A, have a chance to make further history by becoming four-timers on the same night (the previous record in one season is three, which happened last year).
VanMatre highlights the 145-pound bracket below. Meanwhile, Rocky Ford leads the field with 13 wrestlers while two-time defending champion Wray brings 11 to shoot for the three-peat and surging Cedaredge fields 10.
Here are all 14 brackets for the 2A classification:2A State Wrestling Brackets - 2020
2A Tournament schedule
Thursday, February 20
- Weigh-in: 11:30 a.m.
- Preliminaries (first round): 2-4:45 p.m. (5 mats)
Friday, February 21
- Weigh-in: 7 a.m.
- Championship quarterfinals: 9-11:45 a.m. (5 mats)
- First round consolation: Immediately following previous round
- Second round consolation: 5-6:15 p.m. (5 mats)
- Semifinals: 6:45 p.m. (2 mats)
Saturday, February 22
- Weigh-in: 8 a.m.
- Third round consolation: 10 a.m. (10 mats)
- Semifinal consolation: Immediately following (as mats become available)
- Fifth place: Immediately following (as mats become available)
- Third place: Immediately following (as mats become available
- • • Clear house • •
- Doors open: 5:30 p.m.
- Parade of Champions: 6:30 p.m.